CARD is monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation with the top priority being the safety of our participants and staff. Using information received from both the California Public Health Department and Butte County Public Health, we continue to evaluate the status of our programs and services. Should program changes be necessary, we will post updates on both our Facebook page and our website. Thank you for your understanding during the constantly changing environment.
As we continue to navigate the impacts of COVID 19 we at CARD are anxious to get back to playing. We are closely following the Butte County Re-Opening Plan and will re-open facilities, amenities and programs as we receive the guidance to do so. Specifically, we have received questions regarding our playgrounds. At this time, playgrounds are listed in Phase 3 of the State of California Re-Opening plan. While California is entering Phase 3, playgrounds specifically have not be re-opened. Once authorization is given, we will work to quickly remove the fencing and prepare the playgrounds for play. Thank you for your patience during this challenging time.
Summer Aquatics/Youth & Adult Sports Programs/Summer Camps: Programs are tentatively scheduled to begin on 6/8/20, but are subject to change based on State and local mandates. Activities, camps, and leagues may be modified and not all activities/sports may be offered. If we are able to begin summer programming on June 8, registration will open on 5/22.
As we start the month of April, there are more changes to operations that we wanted to share with the community.
CARD Office closed to the public through April 30: We are still answering emails and phones, but our offices and facilities will remain closed to the public.
Class and program cancellations: Based on recommendations from the federal government to adhere to social distancing guidelines, we will be cancelling all classes and programs through May 31st. We will continue to provide updates regarding May programming as we receive information. If you were registered for a program, your account will be credited automatically. If you would like a refund, please just email us at (redacted) or call us at 530-895-4711 and let us know you would like a refund.
Park Amenities Closures: If you have visited a CARD park lately, you may have noticed that the playgrounds and bathrooms have been closed. In addition, we have closed group picnic shelters, the Skate Park, the DeGarmo Dog Park, Community Park Tennis/Pickleball courts and basketball courts.
Handwashing stations at parks with closed bathrooms: While the restrooms are closed, we do want people to still be able to wash their hands. We have placed handwashing stations at those parks that have closed bathrooms.
Social Distancing PLEASE: Lastly, we are asking for you to use our parks responsibly. While it is tempting to gather with friends at the park and play a game of spike ball, football or volleyball, this is not social distancing. We can all do our part to protect the residents of Chico. Please enjoy the parks to take a walk, walk your dog or just to get a little fresh air, but do so with great distance from others that might be doing the same.
We miss our customers! Our business is to bring people together, the CARD staff can hardly wait to get back to business as usual. We are working on a few creative ideas until we are able to throw open our doors. Stay tuned for more information!
After School Programs: Cancelled through the school year due to school closures.
Lifeguard Training, Session II: Shallow Water Lifeguard Training (6070) has been cancelled. Registered participants will have CARD accounts credited and will be added to a waitlist for a potential make-up session in May. Participants will be contacted once a make-up session is scheduled. Email (redacted) if you would like to request a refund.
In order to support the current shelter in place order, all CARD playgrounds and park restrooms will be closed to the public. While the playgrounds will be off limits, we have lots of wide-open spaces where you can get out, get some fresh air and practice social distancing. Please remember the guidelines and let’s work together to flatten the curve.
Adult & Youth Classes: Canceled through Friday, April 17.
Adult & Youth Sports: Spring season sports (3/23-5/22) have been cancelled. CARD accounts will be credited. Email (redacted) if you would like to request a refund.
Aquatics: Swimming Across the Spectrum (April) has been cancelled.
CARD After School Programs: Cancelled through Friday, April 17
- Due to school closures, After School Programs are closed through April 17th. Refund information has been emailed to families.
Lifeguard Training: Shallow Water Lifeguard Training (6069) has been cancelled. Registered participants will have CARD accounts credited and will be added to a waitlist for the 2nd session. Email (redacted) if you would like to request a refund.
Picnic Reservations: All picnic reservations through April are being cancelled. At this point, all picnic sites have been closed to the public.
Park Update: Currently the parks are open, however playgrounds, bathrooms, picnic sites, the skate park and dog park are closed to the public.
Senior Programs: Cancelled through Friday, April 17
Toddler Programs: Cancelled through Sunday, April 19
- Our Time Together, Tiny Tots & Little Wonders: Programs that are scheduled are cancelled through Sunday, April 19. Participants will recieve a credit on their account for all of April by Friday, April 3. Should we start back up after April 19, we will create a pro-rated amount for people to register for.
- Nature School: Program canceled until Sunday, April 26. Credits to Chico Area Recration and Park district account will be issued by Friday March 27. Email (redacted) if you would like to request a refund.
All classes and programming: Cancelled through Friday, April 17
Special Events Cancelled:
- Kite Day (3/22)
- Emotional Tune Up (3/26)
- Spring Jamboree (4/11)
- Spring Carnival (4/25)
- Family Night Out at the DFJ (4/30)
After 5:00 PM Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 20: the CARD Main Office, Lakeside Pavilion, and Nature Center Living Animal Museum will be closed to the public for in person transactions such as registrations and reservations. We will be open to assist customers over the phone or via our online system from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. You may contact the office at 530-895-4711 or email us at (redacted). We will post an update for future hours by the end of the week.
Is CARD cancelling classes and programs?
The Chico Area Recreation and Parks District takes the safety and health of our community as a top priority and is taking actions to limit the spread of this virus. Therefore, we have made the tough decision to cancel or postpone the following programs.
- VITA Tax Services: Cancelled at both the DFJ and CARD Community Center through April 3.
- Kite Day - March 22: The park will remain open, however there will be no formal event on that day.
- Emotional Tune Up - March 26: This event has been cancelled and may be rescheduled to a later date.
- Chico Community Concert Band - March 29: The March 29th spring concert has been cancelled. They are tentatively rescheduled for June 14th.
- Spring Jamboree - April 11: We have not made a final decision regarding Spring Jamboree, we will continue to monitor the situation and will determine the status of this event in the future.
- DFJ Family Night Out - April 30: This event has been cancelled and will be rescheduled in 2021.
Youth and Adult Classes: Cancelled until through Friday, April 3
- At this time all classes that are scheduled to take place through CARD are cancelled through April 3.
Toddler Programs: Cancelled until through Sunday, April 19
- Nature School, Our Time Together, Tiny Tots & Little Wonders: Programs that are scheduled are cancelled through Sunday, April 19.. Participants will recieve a credit on their account for missed classes in April. We are hoping to continue with class in May.
Senior Programs: Cancelled until through Friday, April 3
- Senior programming scheduled at Lakeside Pavilion will be cancelled through April 3. Passages will communicate with their meal participants directly regarding ongoing meal options.
Nature Center Programs: Cancelled until through Friday, April 3
- Except for the current Spring Break camp, all other programming currently being held at the Nature Center will be cancelled through April 3.
Can I Get A Refund?
If we CAN reschedule your classes or programs, we will not issue a refund. If we are NOT able to reschedule your class or program, we will automatically credit your account. This may take some time to determine since additional cancellations may be necessary. Should you desire a refund, please contact our main office at (530) 895-4711 and they will be able to assist you.
Are the Parks Still Open?
All parks will remain open until we are directed otherwise by the local health department. We encourage you to continue visiting our parks, as regular exercise is essential to physical and mental well-being. We have instituted cleaning and disinfecting measures for frequently touched surfaces at all our restroom and rental facilities, beyond our regular cleaning measures.
We appreciate your patience and understanding, as we continue to monitor this unprecedented situation and encourage you to stay up to date with COVID-19 facts through the CDC, the California Department of Public Health and Butte County Public Health.
- As of 5pm this evening, all Spring Break Camps are running as usual. Registered families will be receiving an email with important paperwork that must be signed on the first day of camp.
How Can People Protect Themselves
The best way to prevent the spread of illness, including; seasonal flu, novel coronavirus and other respiratory illness is to practice everyday illness prevention steps:
· Washing hands with soap and water.
· Avoiding touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
· Staying home if you are sick, especially from work, school and public places.
· Following guidance from public health officials.
Government Agency Links & Resources
View Center for Disease Control (CDC) Resources